Cooking time: 90-120 mins
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 oz pre-packaged pesto
1 8-oz block of mozzarella cheese, cut into ¼ inch strips
1 large bunch of asparagus
1 tsp coarse ground sea salt
1 tbsp cracked black pepper
- Using a very sharp knife, carefully slice one side of chicken breast horizontally, making sure to avoid cutting all the way through (butterflying). Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a kitchen mallet until breasts are thin and equal thickness. This step ensures the chicken will be extremely tender, as well as more pliable to wrap around all of the fillings.
- Cut the last 2 inches of the asparagus stalk off where it starts to discolor at the base.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.Open the butterflied edges of the chicken breasts like a book and spread one ounce of pesto per breast. Place 2 or 3 pieces of asparagus and two strips of mozzarella across each chicken breast. Roll up the chicken, and place them in a cast iron skillet.
- Preheat the grill to 350°Fwith the lid closed.
- Cook for approximately 60-90 minutes, or until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 160°F. Remove from heat and let rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Plate the chicken breasts, and slice in half or serve whole.